To get in the right mood for Christmas the best thing you can do is visit Christmas Markets! And there are many Christmas Markets in and around Stuttgart. In this post I point out my personal favorites.
Christmas Markets in Stuttgart
- The most obvious Christmas Market to visit for anybody living in Stuttgart is the big one in Stuttgart. It stretches from Schlossplatz via Karlsplatz all the way to Marktplatz. Stuttgart Christmas Market is not only one of the biggest Christmas Markets in the area, it’s also particularly pretty because all of the stands display an individual roof decoration. There is even a competition going on and one lucky stand wins a prize for the most beautiful decoration every year! Next to many food stands you also find some fun rides for kids at Stuttgarter Weihnachtsmarkt. Moreover you can enjoy a concert for free every evening as choirs are performing daily on the stairs in front of the city hall. Tip from a local: Take the public transport to get to Stuttgart Christmas Market! The U-Bahn stations Schlossplatz, Charlottenplatz and Rathaus are close by as well as the S-Bahn stations Hauptbahnhof and Stadtmitte. Stuttgart Christmas Market is open until December 23.
- One special part of Stuttgarter Weihnachtsmarkt is the Finnish Christmas Village (Finnisches Weihnachtsdorf). Here you can enjoy smoked salmon, drink a glass of Glögi (the Finnish version of mulled wine) and shop for Scandinavian products. The Finnish Christmas Village is located at Karlsplatz, right next to the U-Bahn station Charlottenplatz and it is open until December 20.
- Also part of the Christmas Market in Stuttgart but technically a market for itself is Wintertraum at Schlossplatz. If offers an ice rink as well as several food stands. Moreover, it is open even after Christmas, until January 1.
- Not really a Christmas Market but a very special Christmas attraction is Christmas Garden at Wilhelma. When it is getting dark, the botanical and zoological gardens at Wilhelma light up brightly. More than 20 light installations await you along a 2 km loop and food stands invite you to take a break and enjoy the romantic atmosphere. Christmas Garden is open until January 6. Mind that you have to buy a ticket in order to get inside.
- At Bad-Cannstatt you can visit the Welt-Weihnachtsmarkt that awaits you with a live program every day until December 23.
Christmas Markets around Stuttgart
- The Esslingen Christmas Market is probably one of the most famous markets in the area because of its medieval part. At the Esslingen Medieval Market you can find merchants in historical garments offering their goods, craftsmen like pewterers, felt-makers, and glass-blowers demonstrating their craftsmanship and artists fascinating their audience with juggling, music and more. Definitely worth a visit! Tip from a local: Go early and during the week! It is always crowded there but it get’s worse on weekends and in the evening. The Esslingen Medieval Market and Christmas Market is open until December 21.
- You find another historically themed Christmas Market in Ludwigsburg. With all the light installations the Ludwigsburg Baroque Christmas Market is definitely a beauty. Nestled between two baroque churches and underneath the huge illuminated wings of angels you will feel enchanted right away. It is open until December 23.
- In Fellbach a Christmas Market as well as an ice rink await you. Moreover a special program for kids is organized next to the town hall. Fellbach Christmas Market is open until December 19, the ice rink until January 6.
- The beer garden Schwabengarten in Leinfelden has turned into a Winter Village. WinterdörfLE is not a real Christmas Market as the stands where you can buy gifts are missing. But you find four food stands and an open fire there. And if you’re into curling, you can go for it here, too.
- Ever visited a Christmas Market in a stable (PDF)? You can do so at Gärtringen-Rohrau on December 15 and 16. Rohrauer Stallweihnachtsmarkt awaits you in the stable of an organic farm. Here you find 20 stands from local producers who are selling handmade goods and watch traditional craftsmen performing their work.
- At Waiblingen Christmas Market you will find something very special: Christmas cellars! In these cellars handmade goods as well as an exhibition of Christmas calendars await you. The Christmas Market in Waiblingen is open until December 20.
- A Christmas Market in an old castle has always an enchanted atmosphere to offer. At Schlössle Höpfigheim at Steinheim an der Murr you can enjoy it on December 15.
- Shop for the perfect Christmas tree while enjoying a glass of Glühwein or browsing through locally produced artwork at Christbaummarkt Prevorst in Oberstenfeld-Prevorst on every weekend before Christmas and even on December 24.