Hi guys! I used the public holiday last friday to check out events in Stuttgart in 2017. And what can I say, I think this will be another fun packed year. These are my personal highlights, I am looking forward to in particular:
I don’t know how you feel but for me, April always marks the beginning of spring. I bring the sun chairs from the basement back into the garden where they belong and have my first BBQ of the year! If you intend to do the same but still have some free spots in your calendar, check out these fun upcoming events:
- Right on April 1st you can shop the night away at Nachtflomarkt (night flea market) at the Wagenhallen. From 6 pm till late at night, you can shop for knick knacks, rummage through things and listen to music.
- On April 2nd, Lange Nacht der Museen (long night of the museums) is on again! I love this event. With one ticket (18 Euro) you’ll get entrance to more than 90 participating museums, galleries and art institutions. And even if you think you’ve seen all the cultural hot spots in Stuttgart, believe me, there’s always something new to discover.
Picture credit: Lange Nacht der Museen
- If you like French movies, don’t miss the Cinéma Francais on April 6th. This month you can watch the original version of “La Belle Saison” with German subtitles at the cinema “Delphi”. The entrance fee is 8 Euro. The movie starts at 7:30 pm.
- Attention wine lovers: The first Lange Nacht der Weine (long night of wine) is held at Wagenhallen on April 9th. You can taste more than 80 (!) different wines. And there will be live music and a DJ, too. Make sure you leave your car in the garage that night! Start time: 5 pm – Entrance fee: 15 Euro (wine tasting included).
- One event that I am interested in a lot is the presentation “How to travel the world with almost no money” by travel writer Tomislav Perko. It is held in Stuttgart on April 9th and starts at 8 pm at Naturkundemuseum am Löwentor. Be quick if you want to see him, too – the tickets (8 Euro) sell out very fast…
- As Moritz and I will travel to Canada this year again (spoiler alert! ) we are very interested in the Banff Mountain Film Festival. It is on tour in Europe and will be at Liederhalle Stuttgart from April 15th to 16th. You can watch outdoor-related short films about the Rockies and Denali, but also the climbing event Horseshoe Hell, the Ultra Tail du Mont Blanc and more
- April 16th is also the first day of Stuttgarter Frühlingsfest, the spring version of Oktoberfest. So if you’re not the outdoorsy type, you might be interested in “in tent” drinking activities . But the Frühlingsfest is not only good for dinking lots of beer. You can also find a lot of fun rides which makes it also a great destination for a fantastic day with the family.
- Speaking of beer: April 23rd is the Day of the German Beer. You can celebrate at Schlesinger or at Im Wizemann where they organize a whole Craft Beer Festival!
- If beer is not your thing and you would like to spend your time on more sophisticated events, how about participating in the Tweed Run on April 24th? Put on a classic style outfit, bring your old-fashioned bike and come at 8:30 am to the Alte Schloss (Old Castle). You and your new tweed mates will cruise the city, British style Prices vary depending on whether or not you’re interested only in the ride or in food and drinks as well.
- From April 26th to Mai 1st the Festival of Animated Film will take place in Stuttgart. It is one of the most outstanding events for animated film worldwide. Awesome, right?! It offers open air events, a game zone, as well as screenings and workshops for kids.
Picture credit/Foto: Internationales Trickfilm-Festival Stuttgart
As you can see, April is packed with fun stuff to do. I hope the weather will be good enough to indulge in my most favorite spring activity: Sitting outside and enjoying the sun!
Have an amazing April, guys!