April had indulged us with some beautiful warm days already but I can’t wait for May and spring really to kick in. For me, May is the month where I try to be outdoors as much as possible. And when I look at all the fun events this May in Stuttgart, I think we have a great chance to enjoy fun things to do and a great time outdoors at the same time!
- The 80th Frühlingsfest is still going on. So in case you haven’t had the chance to dance on beer tables or take a look down on Stuttgart from the big wheel, you can still do so until May 13th!
- I looove being active outside! So you can imagine that I can’t wait for May 2 when Sport im Park is starting again. This program is offered to us by the city of Stuttgart and many sport clubs. Until September more than 70 activities take place per week all over Stuttgart – for free! You can choose between Capoeira, Zumba, Jogging, Pilates and much more. I took advantage many times of this great program in recent years and wrote posts about my experience practicing Yoga under the open sky and trying Functional Fitness at Höhenpark Killesberg.
- The International low & no budget film-sharing Kurzfilmfestival 2018 is in town this May in Stuttgart. On May 2 and May 9 you can enjoy independent short movies at Merlin.
- In May the season for the public open air pools starts again. Höhenfreibad Killesberg and Freibad Möhringen are supposed to open on May 5. Inselbad Untertürkheim, Freibad Rosental and Freibad Sillenbuch follow on May 12. However, weather conditions can influence the opening days so better check the website of the public pools before you go.
- A meeting for moms and dads of small children in Turkish will take place on May 5 at Kita Stuttgarter Straße 3 in Feuerbach.
- You like flea markets? Either as a seller or as a visitor who’s hunting for the one or other treasure? Then you will get lucky this May in Stuttgart! On May 5 even two flea markets take place: the flea market at Si-Center and the Hofflohmärkte in Stuttgart-West, where residents sell stuff in their front yards. On May 12 you can visit the Hofflohmärkte in Bad Cannstatt and on May 20 the annual Spring Flea Market (Frühlingsflohmark) will take place at Karlsplatz, Marktplatz and Schillerplatz.
- Between May 5 and 12 the international and regional Theatre Festival Schöne Aussicht/Bright View 2018 is in Stuttgart. Eleven international productions by artists of ten nationalities will be performing alongside eight selected shows from the South-West region of Germany. The performances are all about life in our globalized world and highlight and questions of the impact of war, racism and social instability on the youth.
- The Student Welcome Club Stuttgart meets every first Monday of each month at 7 pm at Weltcafé. So if you want to meet new people from Stuttgart and all over the world, join the next meeting on May 7.
- On May 12 my most favorite music event will take place: the Eurovision Song Contest (ESC)! If you want to celebrate this fun and maybe a little bit strange show with some friends, check out my guide to the Eurovision Song Contest.
- May 13 is the international Day of Museums. On this day you’ll have the chance to visit many museums for free. In Stuttgart the following museums participate: Kunstmuseum Stuttgart, Theodor-Heuss-Haus and Landesmuseum Württemberg.
- The festival season in Stuttgart starts with the SWR Sommerfestival 2018 which will take place between May 18 and 21. Entrance to the live music performances and activities are free during the day, tickets for the evening shows can be purchased from now on.
- You love dancing? Then the Forró de Domingo Festival 2018 this May in Stuttgart might be your thing! It will be held at Volkshochschule Stuttgart between May 31 and June 3. On these four days you can participate in 40 workshops, 50 private lessons and 4 big parties!
- If you’re interested in medieval times, the Knights Tournament and Market at Reitstadion Cannstatter Wasen might be for you. Between May 31 and June 3 you can watch tournaments and shows, listen to music and shop at the medieval market.
- When the weather stays warm after sunset the time of beer gardens has come. Two of my most favorite beer gardens in and around Stuttgart are Teehaus Stuttgart and Stadtstrand Stuttgart.
Again, these are only my personal highlight events this May in Stuttgart that can be enjoyed by everybody, even if you don’t speak German. Let me know what you think about my selection and if you know some additional fun events you would like to share with us here on the blog!