Hi guys! We survived the crazy weather in April, hurray! Now let’s make the most of May 2017, shall we? Here are my favorite things to do this May in Stuttgart:
- The 79th Stuttgarter Frühlingsfest is on until May 7! Make sure you don’t miss your chance to get thrilled on a fun ride, drunken in a beer tent or stuffed on one of the many food stands.
- The Festival of animated Film is a gem amongst the events in Stuttgart and well-known around the globe. This year it will be held between May 2 and 7. Be a part of it and take the chance to meet well-known filmmakers and young talents, and to participate in numerous workshops, informational events and presentations. By the way, the open air cinema, free of charge! You will find it at Schlossplatz.
- How about meeting some hideous men? Theater am Olgaeck will be showing “Brief interviews with hideous men” by David Foster Wallace on May 4. This staged reading is based on the novel of the same name, that is sometimes referred to as the “The Penis Monologues”. Apparently it contains strong language but sounds like lot’s of fun! 🙂
- There is a meeting called Open Café for all female refugees and other interested women at Frauenkulturzentrum Sarah in Stuttgart-West on May 4 and on most other Thursdays (please check their calendar online). The participants talk and enjoy snacks together in a very relaxed atmosphere.
- A very special experience are the Lichtmond (lightmoon) music shows at Planetarium Stuttgart. You sit back and enjoy an amazing show that transports you to other wolds, accompanied by breathtaking music. Lichtmond will be performed on May 5 and every friday from 8 to 9 pm.
- Did you love climbing trees as a kid? You have the chance to revive your childhood – and make it into even higher spheres: The Kronenshow (treetop show) of Haus des Waldes in Degerloch will take you up into treetops, 30 meter above the ground, on May 6! There are still places available so make sure you make a reservation until May 2 via firstname.lastname@example.org
- Oper Stuttgart has picked up Thomas Mann’s famous novel Death in Venice (Tod in Venedig). You have the chance to see it performed in English on May 11, 14, 18 and 25.
- If you want to enjoy the best view on the full moon above Stuttgart while listening to sophisticated music, you should visit a Panoramakonzert on top of Stuttgart’s famous tv tower, of the Stuttgarter Saloniker. This month you can still get tickets for May 9 and 10.
- You like hip hop? Then Red Bull Flying Illusion is for you! The show is in Stuttgart’s Porsche-Arena on May 12 and 13.
- If you like dolce vita, how about visiting the Italian Night at Si-Centrum on May 13? After a welcome drink you will enjoy Italian live music, show acts and a buffet.
- There are many flea markets and book sales in Stuttgart but this is the first one that concentrates on books in English: book sale on May 13 at St. Catherine’s Anglican Church (Katharinenplatz 5).
- Are you a foodie? Then you mustn’t miss Tisch&Tafel, the fair for indulgence and home decor! It is on May 13 and 14 at Alte Kelter in Feuerbach. The idea behind the fair is to combine your favorite feel-good-things: yummy food, delicious drinks and pretty accessories. The exhibitors are happy to tell you more about their products and the stories behind them.
- American Football in Stuttgart: The Stuttgart Silver Arrows will meet the Ostalb Highlanders on May 14 at Stadion Festwiese in Bad Cannstatt.
- We Germans are VERY proud of our bread! 🙂 That we have even more delicious bakery products can be explored at Stuttgarter Brotmarkt at Schlossplatz on May 18!
- Villa Reizenstein is the official residence of Baden-Württembergs prime minister Winfried Kretschmann. It is surrounded by a beautiful park. On some selected days the park is open for the public. May 20 is such a day. Don’t miss the opportunity to visit this special place!
- Browsing for great nicnac in your neighbours backyard is possible at the event Hofflohmärkte in Stuttgart-West on May 20.
- May 21 is the International Day of Museums. The entrance to most museums and galleries is free and they offer special events!
- Baseball in Stuttgart: The Stuttgart Reds will meet the Mannheim Tornados on May 28 and 29 at DB Ballpark (Am Schnarrenberg 10).
What are your favorite things to do this May in Stuttgart? Share your plans in the comments!