Hi guys! Are you enjoying this summer so far? I definitely am 🙂 I hardly find time for blogging with all those great outdoor festivals and events we had going on here in Stuttgart in July. And August also looks like a great month! Check out my favorite things to do in August!
- If you haven’t had enough of festivals, check out the Stuttgarter Sommerfest. It is on from August 4 to 7 at Schlossgarten, right in front of the Opera House. To find out more about the Summer Festival, visit my post A posh festival and fun in the fountain.
- Another festival happens just around the same time, from August 5 to 7: Umsonst & Draußen (which translates into “Outside & Free”). But the dates are the only thing these two events have in common. Umsonst & Draußen is a very alternative festival. As it takes place on the University campus in Vaihingen, a lot of students visit this event. 18 bands will play but you can also visit workshops, readings and performances. If you don’t like mainstream, this is your event!
- One of the newer outdoor events (it started in 2015) is the Abendmarkt (which translates into “Evening Market”) in Bad Cannstatt. It is on every Friday in August from 5 to 10 pm. You can shop for local products, treat your taste buds with some goodies from the food trucks and enjoy the free entertainment program. To find out more about the Evening Market, check out my post New Evening Market in Bad Cannstatt.
- Close to Stuttgart, only 20 minutes away by train or car, lies the beautiful city of Esslingen – where you can celebrate the onion at the Zwiebelfest (Festival of the Onion) For ten days, from August 5 to 15, you can enjoy yummy Swabian dishes and a glass of wine or two :-). I visited this festival in 2013, so if you want to learn more about it, check out my article Celebrating the onion – at Zwiebelfest Esslingen. Don’t miss the stand of Kessler Sekt, the oldest producer of sparkling wine in Germany!
- You’ve got an electronic device that’s not working anymore? Your chair has only three legs left? Or your favorite pair of trousers has a hole? Then bring it to the Repair-Café on August 13 at EKIZ, Ludwigstrasse 41 and get it fixed! The organizers and volunteers want to contribute to a world with less waste and help where they can to repair your old things. I think that’s a great idea that needs to be supported!
- A festival I am looking forward to a lot is the Wagenhallen Sommerfest on August 19! The Wagenhallen are a very artisty and alternative location in Stuttgart. I imagine that when they organize a summer festival, it will be a very special event! You have to pay 5 Euro entrance fee though but I bet it is worth it!
- You like fireworks? Then you will love Flammende Sterne (Flaming Stars)! For three days, from August 19 to 21, you can watch the sky turn pink and green and blue and yellow and white and purple and and and… above Scharnhauser Park at Ostfildern. Pyrotechnic teams from all around the world will fight to win this spectacular contest. Tickets start at 13 Euro.
- One of Stuttgart’s most famous festivals will take place from August 24 to September 4: the Stuttgarter Weindorf! Within this time you will find 28 “Weinlauben” (traditional wine stands/mini restaurants) at Schillerplatz and Marktplatz in the city center that offer more than 500 (!) local wines and yummy Swabian dishes. Definitely a festival you mustn’t miss! 🙂
As you can see, there a lot of fun things to do in August! Enjoy and if you visit the one or other event, tell me how you like it! And if I’ve missed something, an event you like in particular, let me know in the comments!