Hi guys! It’s May! Hurray! Let’s see what fun things and events this month holds in stock for us!
- The 78th Frühlingsfest is still going on. So in case you haven’t had the chance to dance on beer tables or take a look down on Stuttgart from the big wheel, you can still do so until May 8th!
- If you like short movies, you should participate in the Open Screening at Merlin on May 4th. International short movies will be shown and the audience decides which movies make it to the alternative Film Sharing Festival. No entrance fee is required. The event starts at 8 pm.
- You loved Huckleberry Finn’s adventures when you were a kid? Then take a BBQ-cruise on the Neckar and feel a bit like your childhood hero. On May 5th the Neckar Käpt’n organizes “Huckleberrys Floßfahrt”, starting at 11:30 am. It promises fun for the whole family with sausages, beer and soft drinks. There is also an after-work version this day, starting at 6:30 pm. Both tours take about 2 hours and cost 32,90 Euro for adults and 19,00 for kids – all in.
- May 6th is the official Europe Day. You can celebrate at Schlossplatz with several representatives from the European Parliament, including Günther Oettinger, European Commissioner for Digital Economy and Society and Rainer Wieland, Vice President of the European Parliament. There will be a Europe Ralley and other attractions for kids, too. Let’s go celebrate good old Europe!
- On May 7th, American author Daniel Regelbrugge will present his latest work “The Telling of Three” , assisted by Irish actor John Doyle and with atmospheric musical accompaniment provided by Pascal on bass. The reading takes place at Dreigroschentheater, Kolbstrasse 4c, 70178 Stuttgart and starts at 8 pm. The entrance fee is 12 Euro.
- If you like good Jazz music, Soul Diamonds “LADIES NIGHT” feat. Fola Dada, Eva Leticia & Lilly Thornton at BIX Jazzclub is for you. It takes place on May 12th and starts at 8:30 pm. Make sure you get ticket as soon as possible as they sell out quickly. If you want to know more about the jazz club, check out my blog post from 2014!
- On May 14th four successful instragrammers from Stuttgart open the exhibition #igersoffline at Gerber UPSTAIRS. The vernissage starts at 7pm on the top floor.
- I am a vegetarian not a vegan but I am still looking forward to the Vegan Street Day on May 15th! It’s the biggest vegan street festival in Germany. There will be live music, readings and discussions, a program for kids and loooots of yummy things to eat!
Photo credit: Animal Rights Watch e.V. .
- If you like street food events in general, you might be delighted to hear that the Street Food Market “Gaumenfreuden” will be back in Stuttgart from May 26th onward. Until September 29th you will find the food trucks every Thursday at Karlsplatz, close to U-Bahn station Charlottenplatz. The mobile kitchens change regularly so you will find something new to try every week.
- The choir festival “Stuttgart ist ganz Chor” starts on May 26th as well. For four days you will hear choirs chanting songs all over the city – including places like Hauptbahnhof and Schlossplatz. Some of my favorite choirs are Füenf: A Cappella Pop Comedy, performing on the 28th at the open air stage at Schlossplatz from 7 to 7:45 pm, Gospel im Osten, performing on the 29th at Liederhalle from 5 to 6 pm, Internationaler Gemischter Chor Stuttgart-Vaihingen, performing on the 29th at Hospitalhof from 12:30 to 12:50, Staatsopernchor Stuttgart with a singalong concert of opera highlights, performing on the 29th from 11 to 12 am at Liederhalle.
Photo credit: (c) Alexander Zuckrow
- Also starting on May 26th (why is this day so popular with festivals?? ): the dance festival Forró de Domingo. Forró is a music and dance style that stems from Brazil and becomes more and more popular in Europe. For four days, you can dance the day and night away and learn how to dance Forró from 30 (!!) professional teachers. Prices vary depending on how many days you want to participate.
May seems to be a fun packed month this year! Enjoy!